Monday, November 07, 2005

DJ Danger Mouse and the state of the music industry

For some reason, I have really been stuck on DJ Danger Mouse's remix of Jay-Z's Black Album. This is one fine piece of work, re-mixing some new sounds (The Black Album) with some of the most classic rock music of all time (The Beatles' White Album). I am not normally a big Jay-Z or Beatles fan, but the combination is incredible.

The irony of this is that DJ Danger mouse was sued for producing it because he did not get the proper permissions. I think this is one of the big reasons that the music industry is taking it on the chin: they are not encouraging musical innovation. Instead, they are working overtime to protect their sources of revenue, even when by letting things slide a bit, they could be bringing in more fans to an artist. I know I am thinking about buying a couple of Jay-Z albums now that I have heard this thing. I won't even get into my opinions of the quality of the artists that they are promoting these days.

I doubt my rantings will impact the attitudes of the record companies, but it would be nice if they could see the stupidity of their actions. They should be encouraging new music and probably trying to lower the price of acquiring music, rather than setting their lawyers on everyone that appears to be possibly taking a dollar or two away from them.

No comments: