Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Immune system issues

I had another episode of my white blood cell count dropping like a brick. I think I need to talk to my doctor about this. While I know that I am going to have a compromised immune system, I don't think I am supposed to have an immune system that yo-yos like this. It seems like I should not have to deal with this. Why is my body reacting to my medication by dropping my white blood cell count so drastically?

On the up side, they treated the drop with a medicine called Neupogen and it restored my WBC to an acceptable level in three days. The only real downside to this is that the drug is only available as an injection. Despite three years of Dialysis and a ridiculously high number of doctor visits and hospitalizations that involved either injections or blood draws, I am still afraid of needles. Having to give myself a shot, even for only three days, was about as close to my own personal hell as I ever want to get. I'd hate to think of what my life would be like if I ever developed diabetes...

1 comment:

ralphslfl said...

Funball, it doesn't sound like you are having any fun at all. I'm interested in how does having this immune system issue make you feel? It sounds like you need some of balance and I'm wondering if you are open minded? To your health.